Heading off to a baby shower? If you’re having gift dilemma, your safest bet is to choose off the registry – but what if there isn’t one? Check out our top baby shower ideas when it comes to choosing a gift:
1. The essentials. While most moms will want to pick out the major stuff on their own – diaper bags, car seats, play arches, etc. – stocking them up with the basics that they can never have enough of is a smart gift. Yes, it’s a little boring, but a sample of outfits to get baby through the first year, receiving blankets or burp cloths, tiny socks and hats, pacifiers and more are all things moms will need in spades.
2. Memberships or gift cards. New moms need excuses to get out of the house, so why not spring for a membership to a kid-friendly activity or event for a unique spin on baby shower gifts? Baby yoga classes, a zoo membership and movie tickets for mom and baby screenings are just a few gift ideas that will help a new mom get out and about when she needs it most.
3. Home cleaning or meal delivery. Tread lightly on this one, but many new moms could use a hand or two around the house as they adjust to their new life. Look for open-ended gift certificates for cleaning services, and arrange for meal delivery at a time that is likely to be convenient. Or better yet, deliver the food yourself and square it away in the fridge or freezer, so mom doesn’t have to lift a finger.
4. Something handmade. If you’ve got a talent, whether it’s sewing, carpentry, knitting, scrapbooking or what have you, a handmade baby gift is something any mom-to-be will treasure.
5. A gift card. Again, it’s a little boring, but you can never go wrong with a gift card at a baby shower. Shopping for baby is an exciting time for a mom-to-be, so a little extra spending money at her favorite baby store, maternity store or furniture store could be just what she needs. For an extra touch, plan a special day of girl time that includes lunch out and any other fun activities you normally do together.
Baby Shower Gift Tips
Whatever gift you choose, keep in mind that the last thing most moms want is for you to stress about it. If you’re choosing from a registry, don’t feel pressured to exceed your budget – you can always make a contribution toward a larger gift, if you know there’s something your friend really wants.